1. Introduction to the course:
The MA in Sociology at Adamas University is an intensive two-year master’s degree course. The faculty offers high quality research training in the subject with knowledge of relevant theoretical approaches as well as an understanding of their application to substantive problems and skills in the use of major research areas. The orientation of master’s degree program in sociology is towards the study of sociological theories, research methodology, social issues and other areas of study like sociology of ageing, of health and medicine, gender, cultural studies, Indian social thought, religion etc. that often incorporate problems relating to globalization, development and social change etc.
Students who have successfully qualified graduation in social sciences are eligible for admission to the MA course of Sociology
Our uniqueness of MA programme emphasizes on mastering manifold manifestations of inquiry. We offer training in quantitative analysis, ethnography and comparative-historical analysis. A quick look at our course offerings will let you know about the number of subjects and perspectives covered in our department. Our faculty includes experts in areas such as ageing, gender, religion, crime and deviance, health and medicine, yoga. We welcome students and scholars with area expertise in many, if not most, of the regions of the world.
2. What are the learning outcomes?
- It should come as no surprise that our students find themselves well-prepared for a wide variety of “real world” occupations. Master’s degree students pursue a variety of careers.
- Many go on to doctoral research either in Adamas University or at leading departments in and outside India.
- Others pursue careers, often with a substantial research responsibility, in government departments, NGOs and various private sectors.
- The students are provided with excellent training for careers in law and public administration, public health and medicine, advertising and marketing, politics and public policy making, business, banking, and consulting, to name just a few.
3. Subjects covered:
Masters in Sociology covers Sociological Theories, Indian Society, Sociology of Change and Development, Social Movements, Globalization and Society, Science, Technology and Society, Research methodology, Urban Sociology, Sociology of Stratification etc.
4. Internships/Project work
• Internship and project work helps students to get exposure about nature of job, practical skills for job and overall personality development.
• Students have successfully completed internship in various industries and NGOs such as Anudip Foundation (with stipend), CINI, TALASH, SWAPNAPURAN, DARTI, NITI AYOG etc.
• Students can practice their analytical skills while doing internship which help them to get job and adjust in job market.
• Students with high academic potentialities are offered to visit international institutions of excellence to have a vast international exposure.
• Most of the master’s degree students did project work in International Universities such as Sapinza University, Rome, Italy, which gives them international exposure of research and job.
5. Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
• After completion of master’s degree in Sociology, students can explore their careers in many spheres with the help of their knowledge and skills.
• Students of Sociology can get jobs in WBCS, IAS, SSC, etc. as the syllabus of Sociology designed in a manner to prepare the students simultaneously with various competitive exams.
• Students of Sociology get 100% placement in various NGOs and corporate sectors with the help of CDC.
• Students may qualified in NET/SET and get job in colleges/universities
• Students may get jobs in various Government and Non- Government research project
• Students get job opportunities in various public and private health sectors as counselors and welfare officers.
• Students with good academic potentiality are offered to pursue M.Phil and doctoral degrees.
50% overall in Graduation in with respective subject