Introduction of the Program:
Encompassing the study of the human mind and behavior, B.Sc (Hons.) Psychology is a three-year undergraduate course that aims to provide students an interdisciplinary understanding of the biological structure of the human mind, its behavior, as well as cognitive based-psychology.
Objective of the Programme:
Why we do what we do? Why we feel the way we feel? Why we think as we think? The study of Psychology has the answer to all these questions. Psychology is the scientific study of our thoughts, feelings and behaviors. The knowledge gained after completion of this course may be applied the treatment of mental health issues, in industrial settings and improvement of interpersonal relationships.
- The course will help the students solve problems relating to mental processes.
- To introduce students to the basic concepts of the field of psychology with an emphasis on applications of psychology in everyday life.
- To explore the biological basis of experience and behaviour, to develop an understanding of the influence of behaviour, cognition, and the environment on bodily system.
- To develop an understanding of the concept of individual differences with the goal to promote self-reflection and understanding of self and others.
- To familiarize students with the use of statistical methods in psychological research and the techniques of descriptive statistics for quantitative research.
- To equip the learner with an understanding of the concept and process of human development across the life span, to impart an understanding of the various domains of human development
- Develop an understanding of the individual in relation to the social world and introduce students to the realm of social influence, as to how individuals think, feel and behave in social situations.
- To the concept of abnormality and the symptoms and etiology of various psychological disorders. This will sensitize them to information on psychopathology and dispel myths regarding it. The course will also help the students to develop an awareness of the concepts related to organizational behaviour, and help the students develop connectivity between concepts and practices of organizations and also to help students understand the various processes and issues inherent in organizations related to human resources.
- To introduce the etiological understanding and therapeutic interventions for the various psychological disorders, and help students develop and understanding of how to deal with moderate to severe psychopathology.
- To develop an understanding of basic concepts, processes, and techniques of Counselling.
- To introduce the basic concepts of the growing approach of positive psychology and understand it’s applications in various domains.
- To understand the relationship between psychological factors and physical health and learn how to enhance well-being.
- To learn the link between individuals and communities and deal with social issues more effectively with people’s participation.
- To understand the role of culture in understanding behavior and exploring psychological insights.
- To understand of the interface between education and psychology.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEO):
PEO 01: Graduate will compete on a global platform to pursue their professional career in Psychology and Allied Disciplines.
PEO 02: Graduates will pursue higher education and research in psychology /or engage in continuous improvement of their professional skills.
PEO 03: Graduate will work effectively in community-based setting with skills and expertise in psychological principles.
PEO 04: Graduates will work with professional integrity and concern for society and environment
PEO 05: Graduates are able to contribute efficaciously for the betterment of mental health and wellbeing of the society.
GRADUATE ATTRIBUTE / PROGRAMME OUTCOME (PO):
PO 01: Knowledge of Psychology: Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and understanding of Psychological theories and principles and able to integrate the knowledge in more constructive ways.
PO 02: Application of Psychological Principles: Apply the knowledge of psychological principles in different areas of psychological research as well as in more applied areas of psychology.
PO 03: Knowledge of Statistical Techniques: Understand and apply the knowledge of statistical techniques in different areas of psychological research.
PO 04: Community Based Implementation of psychological Principles: Apply the principles and techniques of psychosocial theories in community-based programs for the welfare of the community at large.
PO 05: Fundamentals of Psychological Research: Conceptualize, conduct, organize, integrate and execute independent forms of research by applying the principles of research methodology.
PO 06: Psychological Testing and Interpretation: Able to administer, score, and interpret sufficiently different psychological tests following standardized methods and ethical considerations.
PO 07: Application of Modern Statistical Tools: Knowledge and understanding of modern statistical tools like SPSS in data analysis of psychological research.
PO 08: Ethics in psychology: Understand and follow the ethical considerations in dealing with clients and community at large.
PO 09: Soft skills and effective communication: Demonstrate soft skills and effective communication skills while dealing with clients and professional bodies.
PO 10: Team work and Professionalism: Able to work effectively in teams, socialize well and demonstrate professionalism on the job.
PO 11: Empathetic understanding of Behavior: Develops a sense of empathetic understanding of other’s situation and behavior especially in professional interactions.
PO12: Life-long learning: Demonstrates a curiosity to continue life-long learning of the theories, modern approaches and application of psychological principles and techniques.
Having passed the examination what the Graduate will be able to do / what kind of skills will be the Graduate acquire):
- Upon successfully completing the graduation course in Psychology, the students will acquire the knowledge about the various domains of psychology and their application in everyday life and different fields of study.
- Students can learn to become more self-aware and self-confident, they will learn how to interact with others and develop skill of competency
- Students can identify the different approaches to study human behavior and how this knowledge can be used to explain, predict, and influence behavior.
- Students will develop a critical and scientific attitude and will learn to empirically analyze and utilize the data in lifestyle settings.
- They will develop the skill of communication, for personal resource management and to take the responsibility for the desired quality of life and healthy adjustment with reality.
Minimum 50% aggregate in 10 +2 or equivalent from any recognized board.
Duration (in Year): 3