1. Introduction to the course:
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Sociology at Adamas University is a three year undergraduate programme that offers knowledge in various aspects of society. Department gives special importance to the applied field of sociology which includes regular workshops, field visit, projects, assignments, dissertation, and internship for preparing the students for job market.
Students who have successfully qualified 10+2 examination are eligible for admission to the B.A. course of Sociology.
Sociology is a discipline that focuses on the systematic understanding of social interaction, social organization, social institutions, and social change. Major themes in sociological thinking include the interplay between the individual and society, how society is both stable and changing, the causes and consequences of social inequality, and the social construction of human life. Understanding sociology helps discover and explain social patterns and see how such patterns change over time and in different settings. Sociologists examine the shared meanings that human beings attach to their interactions with one another, and they study human experience as it unfolds within societies over time. Sociology is such a subject that cannot exist without its applied part. The laboratory of Sociology is society itself. Thus, Sociology provides better understanding of society. All the faculty members are in a ‘human-making’ process through the all-round development of the students with their expert knowledge in specific subject area within the vast arena of “Sociology”.
2. What are the learning outcomes?
• Sociology enriches students with sociological imagination and enhances their analytic power aiding in their intellectual growth, providing opportunities for civic engagements for making contributions to community welfare.
• During the course students develop distinctive and critical ways of thinking about the social world.
• Develop crucial understanding for diverse institutions, organizations, associations, movements, developmental policies, issues, and social action.
• Get practical exposure of field work and internship.
• Learn handful skills through Workshops and Field visits.
• Able to express their opinion on different social issues through digital and poster presentation.
• Learn analytical skills on data collection, data analysis and report writing, ethnographic film making etc.
• Students will be efficient enough to sit for WBCS/IAS and other competitive examinations of social welfare department.
• Interdisciplinary approach of sociology will help them to get an overall idea of society which in turn makes them well trained, analytic as well as good human being.
A B.A. in sociology covers subjects like Introduction to Sociology, Sociology of India, Sociological Thinkers, Research Methods, Political Sociology, Sociology of Religion, Sociology of Gender, Economic Sociology, Sociology of Health and medicine, Sociology of work, Sociology of Marginalized community, Ethnographic film making and many more.
3. Internships/Project work
• Students have successfully completed internship in various industries and NGOs such as Anudip Foundation (with stipend), CINI, TALASH, SWAPNAPURAN, DARTI, NITI AYOG etc.
• Internship and project work help students to get exposure to the nature of job, practical skills for job and overall personality development.
• Students can accelerate their analytical skills while doing internship which helps them to get job and cope up with job market.
• Students with high academic potentialities are offered to visit international institutions of excellence to have a vast international exposure.
4. Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
• After completion of graduate degree in Sociology, students can explore their careers in many spheres with the help of their in-depth knowledge and analytical skills.
• Students of Sociology can get jobs in WBCS, IAS, SSC, etc. as the syllabus of Sociology designed in a manner to prepare the students simultaneously for various competitive examinations.
• Students of Sociology get placement in various NGOs and corporate sectors with the help of Career Development Cell (CDC).
• Some of the students may get job opportunities in various public and private health sectors as counselors and welfare officers.
• Students with good academic potentiality are offered to pursue masters and doctoral degrees.
50% overall in 10+2 with respective subjects